Strategy & Optimisation
GAMMA is the number one do-it-yourself store in the Netherlands and Belgium. With 166 locations in the Netherlands and 86 in Belgium, the home improvement chain offers the right products at an affordable price for anyone who wants to maintain, renovate or enhance their home and space around it. GAMMA is a franchise formula, and the owner of the formula is Intergamma bv.
With the do-it-yourself formulas GAMMA and KARWEI, Intergamma is the market leader in the Netherlands and Belgium. Intergamma is one of the 15 largest home improvement stores in Europe. The brand has been using YouTube for years, mainly for television commercials, campaign and product videos and some how-to videos. Although the primary traffic source was paid media, GAMMA also saw the potential of YouTube as a search engine.
GAMMA’s objective was to optimise its YouTube channel and to improve the organic reach, including the discoverability of the channel. When search terms relating to GAMMA and the new fall campaign with the theme “insulation” were used in Google and YouTube, the brand had to rank at the top. The most critical metrics for this are organic views, watch time and rankings.
5PM analysed the entire channel through a YouTube Review on more than 100 points. With this, we identified the 25 videos with the most potential to rank higher in YouTube and Google search results. These videos, but also the channel and its playlists, were optimised where possible concerning both YouTube SEO and design.
Also, 5PM has developed a strategy whereby GAMMA matches the “insulation” related content to the search intent of the target group and the critical success parameters of the YouTube algorithm. Based on data-driven content research, we advised GAMMA on which how-to videos to create regarding insulation. This advice also included guidance on the production and distribution of the content.
“Thanks to the strategy and expertise of 5PM we claimed the whole domain of house isolation on YouTube. We have grown in the number of subscribers, views and watch time. Importantly, we have become the number one YouTube channel to find out everything about isolation with how-to videos.”
1. The complete review of the channel, including the optimisation of existing content, was carried out within three weeks. We have thoroughly optimised the 25 most relevant videos, and all playlists of the channel have been adjusted to match the latest branding from GAMMA and SEO techniques from YouTube. Finally, we ensured that the channel had the right settings.
2. Organic traffic via Google Search on the YouTube channel increased by 70% in the period October 2019 – January 2020 compared to October 2018 – January 2019.
3. Organic traffic from YouTube Search increased by 30% in the period from October 2019 – January 2020 compared to October 2018 – January 2019.
4. The number of impressions via YouTube searches has increased by 70% between October 2019 and January 2020 compared to October 2018 – January 2019.
5. The number of ideas via YouTube suggestions has risen by 115% from October 2019 through January 2020 compared to October 2018 – January 2019.
Increase in Google search organic traffic
More displays on YouTube suggestions
Increase in YouTube search organic traffic
Wondering what we can offer you?
What initially began with optimising the GAMMA channel has evolved into a structural partnership between 5PM and GAMMA in the Netherlands. We have already completed several studies into new themes that GAMMA will fill in with content in the spring and during the summer period.
OUR SUCCESS STORIES
Strategy & Management
De Telegraaf is one of the largest media companies in the Netherlands and is a subsidiary of Mediahuis, a publishing house with titles in Belgium, the Netherlands & Ireland. In addition to a daily national newspaper, De Telegraaf has various online publishing labels & physical magazines
Strategy, Optimalisation & Academy
Flexa’s objective was to optimise its YouTube channel to improve the organic reach and findability. When search terms relating to Flexa were used in Google and YouTube, Flexa had to rank at the top. The most critical metrics are organic views, watch time and rankings.
Strategy & Optimalisation
NPO 3FM wants to reach and retain a new target group through YouTube and thus increase the relevance within the target group. The concrete objective was that the channel would grow to 60K subscribers. Also, NPO 3FM wanted to train the internal team to become YouTube Channel Managers.