YOUTUBE MONETIZATION ON ALL CREATORS
This change had already been announced in November 2020 in the US, but it is going to show up in Europe in the coming month. The change regarding monetization means the following: if you, as a creator, are not part of the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) or affiliated with a YouTube Network, you will not receive any part of the revenue from the ads shown on your videos. In short: YouTube earns all the money from your videos. So if you are within the YPP or a YouTube Network, you can turn off the ads on your videos, or share the earnings with YouTube.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE YOUTUBE PARTNER PROGRAM?
If you are a brand in the YPP, this change will not affect you. Should you, as a brand, not be in the YPP, this means for you:
- YouTube will show ads even though you as a brand have specifically chosen not to turn this option on. You have done this specifically so that, for example, ads are not shown by your biggest competitor.
- YouTube shows ads on your videos, but the entire revenue goes to YouTube.
In addition, YouTube indicates that the requirements to become affiliated with the YouTube partner program will not change. This does mean that you have to meet a laundry list of requirements. No idea what the requirements are? We list them:
- You meet the revenue generation policy for YouTube channels.
- You live in a country or region where the YouTube partner program is available.
- Your channel has no active warnings due to violation of the Community Guidelines.
- You have achieved a public video viewing time of at least 4000 hours in the past 12 months.
- You have more than 1000 subscribers.
- You have a linked AdSense account.
For some YouTube channels it is not considered to be part of the YPP. This has to do with the number of subscribers, for example, or the 4000 hours of viewing time. Therefore, we offer another option.
AFFILIATED WITH A YOUTUBE NETWORK
In case you are not in the YouTube partner program, there is another option. You can also join a YouTube network. There are only a limited number of networks in the Netherlands that you can join. A YouTube Network – also known as an MCN (Multi Channel Network) – basically means in short that you have automatic access to all the benefits of the YouTube partner program. In addition, you’ll have benefits such as classifying your Content ID, higher CPMs, and you’ll have access to selling premium ads.
So total panic is not necessary, but it is important to look at the possibilities and begin making progress.
DO YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE YOUTUBE NETWORK?
Team5pm has a partnership with YouTube, allowing you to add your brand to our network. Please contact Team5pm for more information.